Skip to Main Content
Navigated to Leaving/Withdrawing from the University.

Leaving/Withdrawing from the University

Military Leave

Students will be allowed to take a military leave from the University without penalty. Students will receive a 100 percent tuition refund (less any financial aid which may have been received for the term) upon presenting an original copy of their military orders for active duty to the Office of the Registrar.

Alternatively, extension (INC) grades with no tuition reimbursement may be more appropriate when the call for active military duty comes near the end of the semester/session. Students taking military leave should complete the leave of absence form.

Temporary Leave

Students experiencing medical, personal professional challenges may take a voluntary temporary leave for up to two consecutive semesters (e.g. fall, spring, summer) after consultation with their Academic Advisor (if not available, contact the  Director of Graduate Student Services). Students who plan to not enroll in class for one full semester (two consecutive sessions) should fill out the University Withdrawal form. In order to be granted a temporary leave, the student must complete a withdrawal form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar.

Students planning a leave from the institution should check with Student Accounts and Office of Student Financial Planning regarding all financial policies and procedures and the financial responsibility of the student for withdrawing.

Students who wish to take a temporary leave after registering for courses must officially drop or withdraw from the courses in addition to completing the withdrawal form. Students should consult the policy on course withdrawal, tuition reimbursement and Treatment of Title IV Aid When a Student Withdraws - Requirements of 34 CFR 668.22.

During this time, students should not study at another University if they plan to return to Lasell and complete their degree. Students on a temporary leave should be in contact with their Academic Advisor, the Office of Student Accounts and the Office of Financial Aid.

Students on temporary leave should remain in contact with their Academic Advisor. If a student's academic program is 'taught-out' or cancelled while the student is on leave the student may be required to select a new program upon their return. For returning to the university, see the readmission policy.

University Withdrawal

Any student wishing to withdraw from the University should speak with his or her academic advisor to explore the possible alternatives. If withdrawal is a student's final decision, the student should complete a University Withdrawal Form (see Course Withdrawal policy in this document). The student will be asked to speak with various professional staff from Student Financial Planning and Student Accounts as part of the withdrawal process. Students wishing to return to the University after a withdrawal must reapply. Please see the Readmission section of the Graduate Academic Policies in this Catalog.

Administrative Withdrawal

Students who have not officially been granted a leave of absence and who fail to register for courses over two consecutive semesters (fall, spring, summer) will be administratively withdrawn from the University. Students can also be administratively withdrawn for financial reasons. Students wishing to return to the program after being administratively withdrawn should refer to the Readmission Policy in this document. 


Returning to the University requires an application for readmission to the Office of the Registrar. Students must provide an account of what they have done since leaving Lasell, a clear explanation of why they wish to return and why they feel they will be successful at this point in completing their education.

Applications for readmission are reviewed on a case by case basis by the Director of Graduate Student Services, who consults with a committee convened for this purpose. Students reapplying to the program are informed in writing of the committee's decision regarding their reapplication.

Students who withdraw in good academic standing are welcome to reapply at any time.